Staff Accountant performs monthly closings and maintains general ledgers, and prepares financial statements for all assigned projects. Supports the Accounting Manager with research, fiscal year-end, agency audits and other projects. Coordinates with AP and cash clerks for timely periodical closings.
- Completes monthly closing process including preparing and posting journal entries.
- Reviews general ledger accounts, prepares and posts monthly and year-end journal entries.
- Maintains balance sheet accounts including schedules for fixed assets and depreciation.
- Reconciles security deposits and intercompany balances periodically.
- Reviews rent roll reports and informs others (occupancy, property manager and/or management, etc.) of necessary corrections or changes.
- Prepares monthly and annual financial statements including balance sheets and budget to actual variance analysis for all assigned projects. Research on variances between budget and actual by making necessary journal entry adjustments and explanation.
- Prepares and maintains accurate audit schedules for balance sheet accounts, agrees the schedules to accounting records, and responds to auditor questions and requests.
- Attends meetings, provides accurate periodic financial reports, and responds to questions.
- Records maintenance billings.
- Completes other projects assigned by Accounting Manager and Controller.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance is a plus, a minimum of one year general ledger maintenance with multiple entities, minimum one year “hands-on” experience with mainframe accounting software (JD Edwards, One Site, and Yardi experience is a plus). Knowledge of HUD multifamily housing regulations and property management, preferred. Extensive experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook), ability to work with multiple entity files, ability to multitask, can prioritize, detail oriented, organized, punctual, and excellent verbal and writing communication skills. Must have a valid California Driver’s License, proof of current vehicle insurance and a driving record that meets TELACU Residential Management insurer’s criteria. Must be able to use own vehicle in the course of work.
Physical Job Description:
Manual Dexterity: Work requires regular speed and accuracy for most of the working day.
Physical Effort: Work requires infrequent physical demands.
Working Conditions: Normal office conditions.
Hazards: Little or no exposure to hazards.
Equipment Use: PC, keyboard, calculator, copier, facsimile.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by most people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and requirements.