Staff Accountant performs monthly closings and maintains general ledgers, and prepares financial statements for the TELACU Residential Management, Inc. (TRM) and TELACU Property Management, Inc. (TPM) portfolio. Prepares and submits budgets annually, ensures rent increases are requested as needed along with extending contracts with expiration dates.
Essential Job Duties:
- Completes monthly closing processes including preparing and posting journal entries (i.e. maintenance billings, recurring monthly entries, etc.), reviewing general ledger accounts, and maintaining monthly schedules for balance sheet accounts (i.e. fixed assets and depreciation schedules, reconciles security deposits and intercompany balances, reviews rent roll reports and informs other departments, such as occupancy, property manager, and/or management, etc. of any necessary correction or changes, etc.).
- Prepares periodic (monthly, quarterly, and annual) financial statements including balance sheets, budget to actual variance analysis, and cash flow reports for all assigned TRM and TPM portfolio. Researches and analyzes variances between budget and actual by making necessary journal entry adjustments and/or explanation.
- Attends meetings, provides accurate periodic financial reports timely, and responds to questions from owners, auditors, Agencies, etc.
- Compiles data, prepares operating budgets for all affordable housing projects, and submits operating budgets to local Agencies (HUD, CalHFA, TCAC, and/or City Agencies) for approval which includes communication with Agency representatives. Renews contracts with federal or local Agencies (HUD, State and City Agencies).
- Updates and maintains project data within budget files (i.e. Replacement Reserve history, Rent Schedules, Management Certification, etc.). Enters budget amounts into mainframe accounting software, updates management fees and Central Office Costs (COC) to ensure proper accounting records. Keep informed of “Federal Register” and “HUD Clips” revisions and conveys to management.
- Completes special projects assigned by the Controller and President within the specified time frame.
Adaptability & Accountability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, accepts criticism and feedback, changes approach or method to best fit the situation and takes responsibility for own actions.
Analytical Skills: Synthesizes complex or diverse information, prioritizes projects and determine best way of meeting deadlines and requirements.
Attendance & Punctuality: Schedules time off in advance, begins working on time, keeps absences within guidelines, ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent and arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Business Ethics: Works with integrity and ethically, upholds organizational values and abides by written policies.
Communication: Expresses ideas and thoughts both verbally and in written form, exhibits good listening skills and comprehension, responds well to questions, writes clearly and informatively and edits work for spelling and grammar. Presents accurate numerical data effectively.
Compliance: Within specified functional area of authority, is personally accountable to understand and ensure regulatory and policy compliance with state and federal requirements in accordance with his/her respective job duties and responsibilities.
Confidentiality: Maintains a high degree of confidentiality.
Customer Service: The extent to which the employee provides prompt and high-quality service to team members, vendors and internal/external customers.
Judgment: Displays willingness to make decisions timely, exhibits sound and accurate judgment, supports and explains reasoning for decisions, includes appropriate people in decision-making process and takes responsibility for communication including what is heard.
Organization: Maintains clean, functional workspace, continuous workflow to meet daily/weekly/monthly deadlines.
Safety: Attends required safety meetings, follows the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan (IIPP) and reports unsafe conditions, keeps workplace in safe condition.
Teamwork / Morale: Treats others with respect and courtesy, gives and welcomes feedback, inspires the trust of others, exhibits tact and consideration, displays positive outlook and pleasant manner, offers assistance and support to co-workers, works cooperatively in group situations. Engages consistently in professional behavior.
Training: Completes company required training timely.
Management: Reacts well under pressure and assessable. Carries out required performance management processes and timekeeping responsibilities. Assures confidential interchange as appropriate. Demonstrates and instills in others an appropriate sense of urgency.
Experience & Education
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting is required.
- 3+ years of general ledger maintenance with multiple entities.
- 3+ years of “hands-on” experience with a mainframe accounting software.
- Knowledge of HUD multifamily housing regulations and property management preferred.
- Heavy data entry experience with exceptional speed and accuracy is required.
- Ability to handle multiple entities, multiple deadlines, and multi-tasks.
- Exceptional interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, prioritize, diligent, proactive, open-minded, positive, and focus.
- Proven ability to be flexible and adaptive to fast-paced environment and with multiple different personnel from Accounting Department and other Departments.
- Ability to work overtime with supervisor pre-approval and as needed.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by most people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and requirements.